Friday, December 07, 2012

DECEMBER 7, 1941

Digitalized Photo by S. Auberle

I imagine my mother that night--
December 7, 1941,
listening to the radio:
Glenn Miller’s String of Pearls,

Edward R. Murrow, wishing the world

good night and good luck,
breaking news…
the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
My mother’s hands are folded
on the mound that is me,
that pulsating cord connecting us.
Do I sense her fear,
feel the tightening, the pain? 
Beneath her dress I float,
extending a hand, a foot now and then,
wanting reassurance, perhaps
that all will be well
and my mother strokes her belly,
thinking of Japanese women
and their babies soon to be born,
as I will be three months later…
I have not yet lived long enough
to see world peace.
So many never have the chance.
 
~mimi

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A breathtaking poem, Sharon. I'm glad I stopped in Mimi's cafe. I need to do more checking the blogs.

Jackie

3:53 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Golightly Cafe said...

thanks, Jackie, and happy holidays to you!

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home