Tuesday, August 12, 2008

LIKE PARIS


Photo by S. Auberle
No, it's not Paris., but it reminds me of Paris, in some colorful way...and it's living in town, which is new to me. In a little loft in a little town up in the Keweenaw Peninsula. Which, by the way, has some of the most spectacular scenery in the country. Lake Superior is, in a word--superior. And this is the view from the artist-in-residence quarters, where a fellow poet and I are staying for the week. Bells, bells, from the surrounding churches, many of which are not churches anymore, but take me right back to childhood. Two wonderful cafes right across the street--a sensational art gallery beneath--Miskwabik Ed Gray Gallery. A reading Friday night, guess I'd better get to work and write something. In this place it's not difficult...
- mimi

3 Comments:

Blogger tom said...

love the picture, sharon - could spend a lifetime photographing up here -

looking forward to the Friday reading too.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Jukota said...

Hi Sharon,

I was in Keweenaw on Sat. (Aug.9) for just half a day, and I don't know if you'll get this in time, but if you go North out of Calumet to Copper Harbor, about halfway you'll come to Phoenix, and if you turn left toward Eagle River, you will see the blacksmith shop, and the little red house next to it, that is my new sanctuary. I love the cliffs, the river, the lake, all of it. There is something in the air that suits me very well. Stop in if you get that way. Go sit on the cement wall by the river near the bridge. That is where I normally eat breakfast, listening to the river, looking at the cliffs... thinking about poems.

Julie

7:44 PM  
Blogger Sharon Auberle said...

lucky you, Julie! and sorry we missed you, but saw your sanctuary--wonderful place..
and the stones, oh the stones--my house is filling up with Lake Superior stones!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home