Sunday, May 12, 2013

FOR MY MOM

unknown photographer


FLYAWAY 

If my mother returned this day
I would wrap her in my arms,
 
rest my cheek on her soft hair,
share my food with her-- 

this creamy slice of Fontina
a golden pear, a little wine 

and we would laugh
and eat and drink 

until it was time for her to return
to wherever it is she belongs now. 

            She would fly away, gently
            as the silk of this milkweed pod 

and a crow, awaiting
the crumbs of our feast,     
would bid her fond farewell.


miss you so much, Mom

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Hirsch said...

I didn't want to comment on Facebook, this is more private. Beautiful poem. Beautiful Mama. My mother was a knock-out also, went to college at 16. She has been gone 12 years. I just arrived back in Aspen. Drove 2,000 miles to Callie and back to spend a three-day week-end with Family Place. Totally worth it. Happy Mother's Day, Sharon.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Golightly Cafe said...

thanks, Mary. Glad your Mother's Day was fine. Though I couldn't be with my children, I had warm conversations with them, so that was good. and my mother has been gone 13 years. still miss her and always will.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Bruce Hodder said...

Beautiful poem!

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home