Sunday, February 28, 2010

HERON IN WINTER

Photo by S. Auberle
I saw her today,
blue on blue on blue--
ice, sky, bird.
She was stepping slowly
onto the frozen pond
and how, you may ask,
do I know the bird was female?
It was just a look,
a topknot of feathers
ruffled in the cold,
the way she stood so still
as I passed near.
There seemed to be a connection,
(a poet's fancy, no doubt)
of eggs and nests and nurture,
a connection in the season
when bird and woman
must leave safe ground,
step out onto that place
where our old faces
shine back at us,
new and full of light,
though we feel unsure,
but strong, because
it's what we have to do
sometimes, to survive.
The sky is a mirror
beneath our long legs
but oh, beautiful sister,
where will you sleep tonight?
~ Sharon Auberle
(An old poem, revisited, from my book Crow Ink, Little Eagle Press, 2009)
Also, very pleased to announce a poem of mine over at http://www.yourdailypoem.com/
check it out, if you have a chance.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joyce Eley Johnson said...

We do leave tracks all of us. Like art, by default, on many levels.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Am enjoying visiting your blog and finging your photos and poems a treat. Found you today through YourDailyPoem. Bookmarked your spot for easy returns.---Darlene Moore Berg

5:55 AM  
Blogger Anjie said...

Great poem and great blog, Sharon. And I LOVED your Winter Love Song today on Your Daily Poem. Sometimes I teach writing workshops and need poems for students to model after. I would love to put your Winter Love Song poem in my file to use in educational handouts if that is okay. For example, for the kids' summer camp I might have them read your poem and write their own poem, "Summer Is..." Only with your permission will I use it, and of course I would credit you as the author. You can email me at poetanj@gmail.com. Thanks for making the winter world a brighter place!~Anjie

7:44 AM  
Blogger Sharon Auberle said...

2J's,
yes, we do indeed leave very large tracks...some good and some not so. Hopefully, the art tracks are the first kind--not that it has to be "good" art. Who can decide that? No, just that we care enough to create. gone on too long here, haven't I?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Sharon Auberle said...

thanks, Darlene...

8:20 AM  
Blogger Sharon Auberle said...

thanks, Anjie, and of course, feel free to use any of the poems on my blog. I would be delighted.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home