Monday, March 11, 2013

MARCH 11, 1942

Photo by S. Auberle

March 11, 1942 - A day to be remembered...
"Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, asocials, criminals and prisoners of war were gathered, stuffed into cattle cars on trains and sent to Auschwitz.
                                   ~  Google

Paris--first deportation of those to be murdered
are herded into train cars
this day, bound for Auschwitz--
the first of over one million to die there
and across the ocean in America
I am  born the day before.

Here stops my poem.  Seventy years later
what is left to say?  Again, I am just born...
I have the same number of words today
I had that first hour
as I lay there new and safe--
by the luck of some heavenly lottery
a long straw waving in my tiny fist.

Will it change anything
for me to remember
that Jewish child born the same day
in Paris, City of Love,
or the small Gypsy girl, the father
who stole milk to feed  them?
And should I say I'm sorry
and by the grace of some god
might they, somewhere, hear?
Will those two words change anything
in this world of instant everything?

Maybe the one word left to say
is the one word never to forget--

remember...
~  mimi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home