Friday, May 11, 2012

FOR MOM

Photo from photo booth.

An old poem from my book "Saturday Nights at the Crystal Ball,"
published by Cross+Roads Press,  2008

HOW DO YOU MEASURE LOVE?

By an old letter the color of tea,
a photo tucked in a drawer,
Mama's rose-covered Mexican shawl
saved to warm me for the day she'd be gone.

Spring is early this year,
the tulips she planted
beginning to emerge and
I dream often of her.

Sometimes she's pale and weak,
sometimes young, vibrant
and laughing.  We walk then,
Mama and I, as we once did

and I show her a crow's nest
high in the tall pine,
the white bones of a deer
returning to earth.

Outside dreamtime
the seasons turn.
They are no longer measured
by the size of my sorrow.


2 Comments:

Blogger Ralph Murre said...

Wonderful poem, wonderful book.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Golightly Cafe said...

thanks so much, Ralph.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home