Friday, July 08, 2011

EVENSONG

Photo by S. Auberle

EVENSONG

...when the night surrounded me I was reborn.
I was the owner of my own darkness.
~  Pablo Neruda

when the white pine
lifts its arms, beseeching

a first star to appear
when one gull calls

from the indigo sky
as you read Neruda to me

when poppies are nodding
heavy heads and crickets serenade

suddenly a moth careens
toward the light of us

buzzing    beating
darkness riding its dusty wings...

it could be an angel
in clumsy disguise or

just an awkward soul
like us

stumbling along
toward enlightenment

2 Comments:

Blogger jeanie said...

love this poem, sharon. "toward the light of us" " just an awkward soul like us..." love it!!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Golightly Cafe said...

thanks, jeanie!

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home