Thursday, August 30, 2007

POEM BY CANDLELIGHT

























Photo/collage by S. Auberle

Wind rising high and fast tonight,
big storms rolling through.
Five candles blaze on the hearth like a prayer.
I like the way fire burns away the years
the way it takes me back to who we were then,
how it makes me want to ask
and did I make you happy, love?
I was happy then, in summer storms
back in those southern hills
when we sat in the dark, like tonight,
children close and warm in our laps,
happy, even when I knew
after every rain the well pump would quit
and we'd be out there in the night, drenched,
you trying to fix it, me holding a flashlight
both asking why we ever moved to the country
but then leaves would paint their wet gold
on every tree all the way down to our creek
and in the new, shiny morning we'd hear geese
calling from Jessie's farm and we'd laugh
at their honky tonk music while all around us
people we would soon mourn
still walked in that astonishing light.
- mimi

1 Comments:

Blogger Ralph Murre said...

Brilliant poem!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home