Thursday, September 21, 2006

SUNFLOWER II




















Watercolor by S. Auberle

SUNFLOWERS

Today in this mountain field
I'm watching sunflowers dance
and imagining Van Gogh
on a summer morning
in his village in Provence
whispering to himself
as he arranges sunflowers
in a crude and tender vase,
painting them over and over,
believing they are a symbol of hope,
of the soul one day awakening
into a sunny world
leaving behind the darkness
of potato eaters and crows
and now, holding a bouquet
of blossoms in my hand,
I see as surely Vincent saw,
how brief their dance,
how quickly they die,
leaving behind only hope
and a trail of yellow petals
to follow into the Sun.

- mimi

2 Comments:

Blogger Maria Luisa Arroyo said...

Joy, a sense of wonder, and appreciation infuse your poems. I am enjoying your poetic responses to artwork and to original photography. I am delighted to learn you have a blog and will check it frequently.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Sharon Auberle said...

thanks so much, Maria, it's always nice to learn that somebody out there is actually reading me!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home