Monday, August 12, 2013

IF ONLY

Artwork by Nina, Henry, and Mimi
this poem won an Honorable Mention in a recent contest...

IF ONLY 
for David

We are cooking biryani
my boy and I, and drinking wine. 

Children of our blood
and dogs tumble at our feet, 

cinnamon, ginger and garlic
permeate the kitchen air.

Breathing in the fragrance
we share these happy hours

and I imagine a day when I am gone--
my boy an old man,

his long-legged daughter
whirling now about the kitchen,

coming home to him again
and pouring the celebration wine,

he'll understand--there are moments
         you wish could go on forever...       


.



2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Hirsch said...

Since I know David, I love this poem and, the art work.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, Mary, and the artwork was fun too!
Sharon

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home