Tuesday, July 23, 2013

PHILIAS AND PHOBIAS

Photo by S. Auberle

PHILIAS AND PHOBIAS 
               phobias:  aversions and fears
               philias:  attractives & positive feelings 

I'm old        yes old enough
that if I died tomorrow
not one would say
pity        she died too young… 

I suppose there's some comfort
in that       small at best
but another comfort might be
that by now I've tried out

and worn out all my phobias
found them meaningless
paper scarecrows dancing
in the wind       except the last one 

which I don't even want to mention
but you know the one I mean
and yes I'm still scared big time
of that and if you're not 

tell me why not        and how you got
that way        unscared        I mean
and why have none of my people
come back to tell me don't worry baby 

it's all right       nothing to be afraid of
like they used to        and wrap shiny pennies
in my clenched fists        dry my tears
and send me back out 

into that enormous sunny world
where philias abound and never end
and I don't know any more than my dog
about what's coming for me        one day

7 Comments:

Blogger Ralph Murre said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Ralph Murre said...

I would say too young. Too soon. WAY too soon. (((***)))

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

So would I. And I would say cautiously, I did get to the other side of the fear of what's next. Long story.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Kris said...

You just have to figure we go where all the rest of those "flying, swimming, crawling, standing, leaping miracles" go-into the loving arms of the universe. Just ask the dog.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, Ralph, Linda, and Kris...
enough existential angst for awhile!
Mimi

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Al DeGenova said...

love this poem. wow!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Golightly Cafe said...

thanks, Al!
Sharon

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home