Friday, September 12, 2008

SOMEDAY


Photo by S. Auberle
Another "oldie" I may have published before, but I think it's worth repeating...
The great bulls
are bugling tonight,
their screams stabbing
a moonless sky.
Huffing and grunting,
they shake trees,
call forth the ghosts
of all that was wild,
all we slaughtered,
dammed up,
chopped down,
paved over,
gouged out
of this tender earth.
Someone tell me,
please, tell me
how to begin
to make things right.
Tell me how to help
this earth heal,
the buffalo return,
trees to grow mighty again.
Tell me that one day
rivers will flow,
again, freely to the sea.
Please, say to me
all we have loved
will not cease to be.
- mimi

3 Comments:

Blogger Ralph Murre said...

I think it was Lincoln who said that the only true thing is that "this too shall pass", so if part of what we love is the dynamic of our old Mother Earth, we shall not lose all that we love. The bugling bulls call for new beginnings, as have every generation.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Bruce Hodder said...

The sane, steady, ordinary (in Zen terms) mind calling out through the mouth for the return of the rivers and the buffalo makes it a possibility at least. "Here we must draw our line," as Gary Snyder says. A beautiful, restrained breathing-out of righteous anger, Sharon.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Sharon Auberle said...

Thanks for reminding me, Ralph, and yes, this too will pass, I just hope there's something left for our grandchildren...

Bruce, thanks to you too, for the good words and for pointing me back to a master...Snyder is beautiful--if only people had listened to him long ago.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home