Saturday, July 28, 2007

FOR THE CHILDREN

























Digitally altered photo by S. Auberle

I have returned, trailing sand wherever I go.
There are things to remember from a vacation, and things to forget. First, the things to remember always:
the glittering, golden sands; the staggeringly beautiful grace of an osprey spinning into the waves; twelve pelicans flying in formation at sunset; little children digging for hermit crabs; little children shrieking with joy upon their first view of the ocean; little children doing anything on the vast, sugary-sand beach; big children (us) becoming little again; sand dollars shining in the clear surf; the purple-red color of glistening jellyfish washed up on the land; sunrises, sunsets; the symphony of ocean song...
Things to forget: the great, dark silhouettes of aircraft carriers out on the horizon; the constant roar of fighter jets coming in low over our heads--yes, I am grateful for both of these things, knowing they are there for our protection, yet the look of them is frightening to me. the last time I was at this beach was on the day the first Gulf War began. I remember the numbers of ships and planes then, and I am reminded that, unlike that first war, this one continues, relentlessly unresolved...
I hold a sand dollar in my hand, amazed, as always, at the graceful design and think of the legend: break open the center and five doves will fly out, spreading peace and goodwill over the earth.
for the children...
- mimi

1 Comments:

Blogger Ralph Murre said...

beautiful, as always

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home