Tuesday, July 17, 2007

BETWEEN CRAWLING AND FLYING

























Photo by J. Genereaux

"Identity. I can see now where the work is to be done. I have been coming here into solitude to find myself, and now I must also lose myself: not simply to rest in the calm, the peace, in the identity that is made up of my experienced relationship with nature in solitude. This is healthier than my "identity" as a writer (or a monk) but it is still a false identity; although it has a temporary meaning and validity. It is the cocoon that masks the transition stage between what crawls and what flies."
- Thomas Merton

2 Comments:

Blogger bambooandplumblossom said...

Hi Sharon, Merton is great. I really like reading his books. my favourite is "Thoughts In Solitude"
to inhale nature while you're out there, is such an exhilerating feeling. I'm at the chrysalis state
with poetry. the butterfly is a theme of an anthology that just came out that I'm in. thanks for today's blog. I like the way Merton
identifies himself with nature. and then declares he in all humility is still in transfomation
from cacoon to a butterfly. I kind of think he reached that stage, despite the fact of his unexpected death. thanks Sharon - Donnie

12:09 PM  
Blogger Sharon Auberle said...

Hello Donnie,

"A Year with Thomas Merton" is my favorite. And yes, though he died too soon, I'm thinking that he probably did reach the butterfly stage--he was a beautiful soul. Congratulations on your poetry!
- Sharon

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home