Wednesday, March 14, 2007

HUMAN TOUCH

























Digitally altered photo by S. Auberle

"Fewer and fewer Americans
possess objects that have a patina,
old furniture, grandparents' pots and pans
the used things, warm
with generations of human touch
...essential to a human landscape."
- Susan Sontag
The above is an old cooking pot, from the Wagner Ware Foundry in Sidney, Ohio. It belonged to my grandmother, Rosa, may have been a wedding gift in 1912, when she married Ferdinand on an April day in St. Michael's church in Fort Loramie, Ohio.
I recall endless pots of soup simmering in this, on winter days in my childhood, and Grandma requesting my "assistance." The warm kitchen, the smells, the love--it all comes back each time I use it. It's stained and crooked and old but I swear I can feel Rosa around me when I use it. Wouldn't trade it for every piece of Calphalon I own. It's essential to my landscape, for sure...
- mimi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home