Sunday, February 18, 2007

NO HALO

























Digitally enhanced photo by S. Auberle

NO HALO
Not supposed to write poems about angels,
so my writing teacher says,
no sunsets, roses, rainbows, doves.
Hard realism, he says,
but I like angels:
grievous, fallen, tarnished,
those flying too close to the ground,
Virtues, Dominions,
the Thrones and Principalities,
Cherubim and Seraphim
the quirky ones,
those hunky warrior types.
I love them all, like this one
I found today in my favorite
second-hand shop on the shelf
marked "damaged goods."
Serene, exquisitely so,
and I could find nothing wrong
until I turned her upside down
and read on the base
angel with no halo.
Our eyes met, celestial bells chimed
as two kindred souls embraced.
She knew me, I tell you,
and she was the angel
I'd been searching for all my life:
serene, with a sense of humor,
yet full of hard realism.
Whatever she'd done
to lose her halo, it was nothing
I hadn't done too, or at least
seriously considered. Damaged goods,
who isn't?
- mimi

3 Comments:

Blogger Ralph Murre said...

Possibly your best writing yet - in spite, or because, of that anonymous writing teacher.

Don't let anybody tell you what's real.

No halo here,

RM

5:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon Auberle said...

No halo is a good thing. thanks, Ralph..

8:30 AM  
Blogger MB said...

she was the angel
I'd been searching for all my life:
serene, with a sense of humor,
yet full of hard realism.


Enjoyed this.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home