Sunday, December 31, 2006

NEW YEAR'S EVE



Photos by S. Auberle


New Year's Eve
The silver pine cone hangs above the Weatherford Hotel, the countdown clock ticking away the last hours of 2006. The sky is that intense southwest blue, the air crisp. Snow still covers the ground in shady spots. At ten p.m. (for those "east coasters") and 12 tonight, the pinecone will make its slow, sparkling descent to ring in the New Year. People will be dancing in Heritage Square.
Just finished brushing my granddaughter's long, blonde hair and am writing this as I wait for the internet connection to be restored. I feel frustrated, cut off from the world, with no internet access, and just when did this happen? When did my dependence on technology supercede joy in the moment? In the softness of a little girl's hair, the blue of her eyes, the amazing thoughts she comes up with and, thankfully, shares with me?
When did this addiction to technology become more important than walking out into moonlight on snow, more important than the sharp winter stars, the smell of pinon smoke scenting the night, a raccoon scurrying up a tree as I walk out the front door?
Though I rarely make (or keep) new year's resolutions, maybe 2007 is time for one--increase and appreciate the quiet, simple moments in life--and decrease my increasing addiction to, and dependence on, technology.
On this last day of 2006, I offer this old Gaelic blessing:
Deep peace of the running wave to you.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
Deep peace of the watching shepherds to you.
Deep peace of the Son of Peace to you.


A blessed and healthy New Year to all,
- mimi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home