Tuesday, April 06, 2010

AN OLDIE

Photo by S. Auberle
NO HALO
Not supposed to write
poems about angels,
so my writing teacher says.
No sunsets, roses, rainbows, doves...
hard realism, he says.
But I like angels.
Grievous, fallen, tarnished,
those flying too close to the ground,
like this one I found today
in the second-hand shop
on the shelf marked "damaged goods."
Serene, exquisitely so,
and I could find nothing wrong
till I turned her upside down and read
angel with no halo.
Whatever she'd done
to lose her halo, it was nothing
I hadn't done too,
or at least seriously considered.
Damaged goods? Who isn't?
~ S. Auberle
Going through some old photos, this angel spoke to me today, so since nothing new has popped into my head, I thought I'd let her have her say...she's a recycle, but she IS green...
From Crow Ink, 2009 Little Eagle Press

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home