Sunday, June 10, 2007

IN MY TIME

























Photo by S. Auberle

Mary Oliver wrote a poem called "Gratitude" in which she answers eight questions. I haven't seen the poem, but I like the idea. I like the idea of stopping to think what I'm grateful for--whether for an hour, a day, or a lifetime. These are my answers to the eight questions--for one day...
1). What did I notice? Shafts of sunlight filtering down through trees...how the light seemed holy.
2) What did I hear? A tiny bird with a huge song, right above my head.
3).What did I admire? A long row of irises beside an old stone wall.
4). What astonished me? An iridescent beetle that looked like an Egyptian scarab.
5). What would I like to see again? Everything
6). What was most tender? An old man and a dog, with a small boy, flying his first kite.
7). What was most wonderful? Hearing my loved ones' voices.
8). What did I think was happening? What I know was happening is that these moments--right here, right now--are the happy days.
- mimi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home