Saturday, August 05, 2006

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION




















Photo by S. Auberle - artist unknown

Am very pleased to announce that this poem
won second place in the special literary edition
of the Peninsula Pulse: Writer's Expose &
Photography Jubilee 2006. Thanks!

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION

Only six people, it is said
separate any person from another
anywhere on this earth.
I want to believe that,
I want to believe
with just six connections
I could know an Eskimo,
an African tribesman,
a mother in Iraq.

I want to believe it would take
only six people to reconnect
with a gypsy I once saw:
that woman in cold rain
on the steps of the Duomo
in Florence, Italy. I would find her
again, her feet knobby and bare,
her black hair tangled in dusty braids.
Begging, she would whisper again
for my bambino, please,
for my bambino

and this time
I would take her chapped brown hand,
place lira in it, close
her fingers around the bills.
This time I would get it right,
not turn aside
as her sleeve brushed my coat.
This time my shame
would not outweigh hers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Hodder said...

I crossed the street to avoid a man sleeping in a doorway the other day, just in case he woke up and hit me for some of the change jingling so obviously in my pocket. It's important we remember sometimes that the callousness and cruelty we see in the world begins in our own hearts.
Your writing goes from strength to strength.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home